One of my fears about creating a blog was sharing things about myself. I was never one to want the attention of others. Yes, I did grow up dancing hula. However, I was always dancing with others so I was sure that not all the attention was on me. So when I saw the blog topic suggestion “8 things you probably didn’t know about me” I thought that that was the perfect way on how-to open up and tell people about myself.
Here goes nothing. Hmmm… maybe by the time I get to #8 I’ll be comfortable enough to post a selfie:)
(Dear BFF’s, this is a test to see if you are truly my BFF. Haha!)
- I have 4 Keiki (children): Maianna is 9, Kason is 6, Temana is 3 and Mila is 1. Everything I do I do for them (and my husband Mitch). They come first 98% of the time. The other 2% I use to take care of myself. Having 4 kids is a crazy adventure. The days almost never go as planned. Between school, sitter, hula, soccer, and cub scouts something is bound to go as unplanned. Even though we live this crazy life, it’s all worth it for my keiki.
- Passing of my brother: 10 years ago I lost someone very important to me to cancer. He was only 22. My brother Mason was funny, friendly, loving, caring and rascal. He was an awesome soccer player, loved to fish and loved raising chickens. People would always tell me “it was meant to be”. Still to this day I’m not sure what they mean. Why was it meant to be if it caused so much grief? Why didn’t he get the chance to live a long life just as others do? Although I constantly question why he had to leave us so early, I try to cope by reminding myself that we were blessed to have him for the 22 years that we did. He made such an impact on our lives and we will forever cherish the memories we have.
- This leads me to my #3 about myself. ANXIETY! It wasn’t until after my brother passed and after I had my first child (yes she was a special gift that happened a year after he passed) that my body started to go through anxiety. It took me a long time to realize that that’s what it was. It was brought on by many things and came in many forms. Stress from work and the constant attempt to be the perfect parent gave me anxiety. One day I realized that I had scabs and scratches along my arms. What was it from? How did I get it? How come I didn’t notice it until now? After some time it finally dawned on me. I’ve been scratching when stressed and nervous. It is something I deal with on a daily basis. Trying to improve a little everyday.
- Rainbowteek: In 2011 I started a small craft business. I love working with my hands and creating a variety of crafts. I started with artificial flower earrings which led to a variety of other accessories such as wrap bracelets, shell pins, and beaded necklaces. Crafting was therapeutic to me. I would spend hours crafting at night once my kids went to bed. But at that time, I only had my two older kids. Since I had my 3rd and 4th I haven’t had the time to upkeep a business. Now I craft for fun. If my life ever settles down I may consider starting it up again. (haha! Who am I kidding?)
- Education: Between raising 4 keiki and crafting I also have a full-time job. I am currently working for the Hawaii Department of Education as a district resource teacher for special education. Instead of having my own class, I support the special education programs for 5 schools. I mainly assist special education teachers with anything they need help with. This school year will be my 7th year as a RT. Prior to becoming an RT I was a classroom teacher for an autism program for 2 years then a preschool special education teacher for another 2 years.
- Had a miscarriage. Again I heard those words, “maybe it was meant to be.” Seriously what does that even mean?! At the time it’s not what I wanted to hear. It happened between my 2nd and 3rd child. I wasn’t too far along which I guess made it a little easier to cope with. With the love and support of my family of friends I was able to get through it and eventually had my 3rd and 4th child. I’m starting to think that I could never get answers as to why things happen a certain way.
- Enjoys a drink to wind down. Bet I’m not the only one! Either a glass of wine, a beer or a quick 30 minutes of exercise will do it. I don’t get too crazy. Just something to release the stress and anxiety. What do you do to wind down?
- Will 98% of the time say yes. If anyone needs help for any of my kids hobbies (hula, soccer, cub scouts, creative arts) I am rarely one to say “sorry I can’t”. If anyone needs help for a party, event, etc. I am rarely one to say “no.” In fact, even if I know I can’t possibly be anymore busy and stressed, I will go out of my way to ask if help is needed.
Phew! I made it. 8 things about myself that you probably didn’t know about me. It was definitely easier sharing things about myself through this blog as opposed to in person. How do you share things about yourself?
I was seriously very close to including a selfie. I’d say about 67% almost. But then I thought, it wouldn’t have made sense to post a picture of just myself if most of my 8 things have to do with my family. So here we are!
Subscribe to my blog to get updates by email. Would also love to hear about your 8 things! Submit a comment.